Monday, April 17, 2017

I set an insane goal


I went looking for a good clip of a Lamborghini for this post, and stumbled across this one.  as a high school kid, owning a Lamborghini some day seemed like the ultimate goal.  So when I think of the subject of insane financial goals, Lamborghinis come to mind.   PLEASE don't try this at home with your own Lamborghini.

So, I haven't had a "real" job in years.  My last job was working as a taxi driver, which is actually a small business, not a job.  There's no hourly rate, no paycheck, and no weekly salary for a taxi driver, AND I had to pay about $600 a week for the cab and another $300 a week for gas. I had to go out and find business every single day.  It was good for a year, but ultimately, I wound up fat, broke, homeless, and damn near death. 

I also ended up with a mouthful of broken off teeth, only about four of which actually qualify as teeth anymore.  I took a good look at my mouth in the mirror, and decided I needed to set a ridiculous goal to try and come up with enough money to start getting them fixed.  I decided on a three month goal.  A HUGE amount of money popped into my head.  I thought, "No way, there's no freakin' way I could earn that much starting with nothing."  Then I decided to go for it anyhow. 

I won't tell you what the goal was until the 3 months are up, which will be July 8th, a couple days after my birthday. 

At the time I set the goal, the only way it seemed even remotely possible was if I could do a really creative real estate deal, and pull a huge amount of money out.  I've never done that, so that seemed impossible.  But with a huge goal in mind, I went looking online for ways to work towards that goal.  I looked into affiliate marketing ideas that might work with the blogs I'm doing in some way.  I wound up watching a video about high digit affiliate marketing opportunities.  Then I just watched one video after another, and I heard about Shopify.  Basically, it's a super user-friendly way to open an online store, or ecommerce shop as it's often called.

 I've been selling a little artwork to scrape by over the last year.  I've also published a few zines, and have been looking for a way actually earn money with my writing, like I did 30 years ago in a pre-internet world.  The more I learned about Shopify, the more it seemed the perfect way to get my creative work out there and earning me some money. 

That's where making an insane goal took me in about four days.  I've already started building the online store.  The point here is that setting a big goal, and starting towards it, can lead to places you never would have gone otherwise.  Stay tuned to see how it pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment